Friday, January 28, 2005

HR Tips

Responses to Illegal Questions


The following questions and answers illustrate some approaches to answering potentially discriminating questions. Examples aside, remember that each situation is unique and the ultimate decision on how to respond is yours.

Question: "Are you married?"

Real Motivation for Asking the Question: "Will you devote yourself to the position?"

Possible Answers:
A. "Right now, I am focusing on my career and intend to give all the necessary time and energy to my career, regardless of my marital status."

B. "While I am married, my spouse and I understand the demands of good positions such as the one for which I am interviewing. I plan on doing what it takes to succeed in this position, and am eager to make use of my skills and experience."

Question: "Do you plan on having a family?"

Real Motivation for Asking the Question:
"Will you devote the necessary time to the position?"

Possible Answers:
A. "I am not sure at this point, but I know that I am going to work regardless of my family status, and I will give my best effort and skills to the position."

B. "Regardless of my family structure, I plan on having a career and giving all the necessary time and energy to that career."

Question: "Do you have any handicaps or disabilities?"

Real Motivation for Asking the Question: "Will you be able to perform the work?"

Possible Answers:
A. "I believe I am fully capable of performing the duties associated with this position."
B. "Given the appropriate tools (or space or time), I believe I am fully capable of performing the duties associated with this position.

0 Comments: